High-Performance Ignition Systems is a completely updated guide to understanding automotive ignition systems, from old-school points and condensers to modern computer-controlled distributorless systems, and from bone-stock systems to highly modified. Author Todd Ryden leads you through the various components in this update, explaining the theory behind the operation and how the parts work with each other to achieve the ultimate goal of efficient combustion. The inside scoop on all the new coils, wires, spark plugs, distributors, magnetos, inductive systems, CD ignitions, multiple-spark systems, computer ignition controls, rev limiters - all are covered for both street and race applications.
● Electrical System Overview: Introduction to Automotive Ignition Operation
● Distributor Basics: Triggers, Timing Advance and Delivery
● Distributors and Timing: Dialing in Centrifugal Advance
● Performance Ignition Controls: Choosing an Ignition for Your Engine
● Coils, Wires and Plugs: Take a Look at the Secondary Side
● Electronic Accessories: RPM and Timing Controls
● Advanced Ignition Tuning: Performance from a PC
● Going DIS: Where’s the Distributor?
● Batteries, Charging and Wiring: Fuel for the Fire
● Definitions and Diagrams: Useful Info and Wiring Schematics
This book will help you understand how your car's ignition works, update you on all the latest components, including distributorless and coil per cylinder systems and it will help you choose the right components for your car's performance needs.