NASA Mars Rovers 1997 - 2013 Haynes Owners Workshop Manual covers the development, design and engineering of three generations of Mars rover: Sojourner, which landed in 1997, was the size of a microwave; Spirit and Opportunity, both the size of a shopping trolley, followed in 2004; and Curiosity is the size of a car, with a design life of two years.
● Curiosity, the most recent Mars rover, landed successfully on 6 August 2012 and is already providing fascinating findings. Besides Curiosity, two previous generations of Mars rover are covered.
● Details the concept, development, design, hardware and engineering of these machines. Launch, landing and the first few months of operation of Curiosity.
● The first flights to Mars - Mariner 4's fly-by mission provided 21 pictures.
● How our understanding of Mars - and advances in technology - have changed over the decades.
● What we hope to discover in the future.
● A projection of how humans could one day step foot on the Red Planet.
Learn how these machines work as well as what they have found and hope to discover - and look forward to the possibility that humans may yet set foot on the Red Planet.