“Immortal Austin Seven” tells the story of this most popular of prewar cars in all its variations, from the earliest Chummy of the 1920s through Sports, Military, Box and Ruby Saloons to the exquisite Twin Cam racers of the late 1930s. The book includes period, detail drawings and rarely seen photographs – a must for the Austin Seven enthusiast.
“Immortal Austin Seven” tells the story of this most popular of prewar cars in all its variations, from the earliest Chummy of the 1920s, through Sports, Military, Box and Ruby Saloons to the exquisite Twin Cam racers of the late 1930s.
The Austin Seven was truly “Motoring for the Millions,” and Herbert Austin’s baby car has fascinated thousands of enthusiasts for almost a century, with the sheer variety of more than 300 distinct works or coach-built types in 17 years of production. The Austin Seven engine also powered aeroplanes, boats, tractors and motorcycles, and was put to many astonishing uses, all described in this book.
There is also a section on the use of the Austin Seven post World War Two, and the car’s competition role in trials, hill climbs and circuit racing, including the amazingly successful 750 Formula, which sparked off the careers of famous men like Colin Chapman, Eric Broadley, Arthur Mallock and Tony Southgate, and the craze of building sporting Austin Seven “Specials” which peaked in the 1950s.
The book includes period detail drawings and rarely seen photographs, and provides fascinating reading for both Austin Seven and general motoring enthusiasts.
● The Austin Seven – the best known and best loved pre-war British car
● The car that saved the Austin Motor Company and surpassed the wildest expectations of its creators
● The first British “car for the millions” and a quality “little big car”
● Advertised as a car that was easily driven by women. At the time a novel concept!
● A hugely adaptable car, with more than 300 variants produced over 17 years
● The Austin Seven quickly proved itself competitive in racers, hill climbers and trials
● The military Austin Seven saw service in at least three continents, and led to the creation of the ● Jeep
● Post World War Two, the Austin Seven was the springboard for the founders of modern British motorsport
● Many of motoring’s well-known marques have Austin Sevens in their DNA – Jaguar, Jensen, BMW,Lotus, Mini-Coopers
● Today, the Austin Seven is enjoyed in greater numbers than any other pre-war car, in rallies, road runs, trials, races and hill climbs