Life sometimes offers very special opportunities and experiences – some too magical not to share. That’s what Among the Wolves: Memoirs of a wolf handler is: a wealth of stories about an incredible decade in Toni Shelbourne’s life. Worldwide, only a handful of people get to spend time with socialised wolves; not the wolves seen in zoos, nervously pacing or hiding in their enclosures, but wolves raised by humans. These wolves trust people, allow us to interact with them, and accept us into their world.
This book tells the story of Toni’s life with eleven charismatic wolves at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust, Berkshire, England. Over ten years, she handled, raised, cared for and nursed these amazing creatures, and within these pages you will come to know the characters; laugh at their sense of fun, mourn at their passing – and learn to love them as she does.
Describing some of the best and worst of times, discover what happened behind closed doors when the public went home, leaving just Toni and the wolves ...
● Fascinating stories about one of the world’s best-loved creatures, the wolf
● Reveals the charismatic characters of these impressive animals
● Provides unique insight into the world of the socialised wolf
● The thoughts and feelings of the author as she lived among the wolves
● Wolf behaviour in intimate detail
● The raising and family life of a wolf pack
● Information about the UK Wolf Conservation Trust, Berkshire, England
● The benefits of socialised wolves
● Beautiful photos of these unique creatures and their interaction with the author
● The argument for and against captive animals