Puppy education from the puppy’s perspective! This book presents key skills for dogs, helping owners to develop a fulfilling relationship with their puppy, while promoting good behaviour, resilience and welfare. Skills are incorporated into everyday life to reduce training time, so good manners and appropriate behaviour become a way of life.
Every year millions of puppies enter homes, carrying their new family’s expectation of a wonderful relationship. Sadly, many are rehomed or lose their lives as the result of behaviours which their owners find difficult to live with. Helping a puppy to grow into a resilient dog, capable of coping with the challenges of daily living, whilst retaining a good quality of life and exhibiting behaviours acceptable within society, is not an easy task. 'Life Skills for Puppies' aims to simplify puppy education by presenting the skills that are required to achieve these goals within the context of everyday life. By enabling owners to incorporate teaching into each interaction they enjoy with their puppy, it not only becomes easier for them, but also enables the puppy to practice appropriate behaviour choices within day-to-day situations. By teaching skills such as self-control, respect for rules, and clear communication, owners can spend less time directing their dog, and more time enjoying their relationship with him, as he takes more control for his own good behaviour. Beautiful, specially-taken photographs illustrate the points made, and each chapter includes a worksheet to help owners chart their puppy's progress.
● Written from the puppy’s perspective
● Clear explanations of the importance of each of the skills
● Practical tips for implementing the skills in daily life
● Introducing the concepts of self-control and frustration tolerance
● Helping puppies to be naturally well behaved, not simply obedient
● Teaching puppies to make the right choices
● Clear explanation of what a puppy needs for his wellbeing
● Detailed description of teaching controlled leash walking
● Descriptive, specially-taken photographs support the text
● Worksheet for every chapter to help owners apply the principles