A Tale of Two Horses tells the story of two ex-racehorses with behavioural problems, who embark on a rehabilitation programme using only positive, reward based methods, developing into self-confident, well balanced horses. Woven throughout is the story of their owner’s life on a rural farm, plus insights into her work as an animal behaviourist with dogs, cats and other species. Bringing horsemanship up to date with positive, reward-based methods, the truly kind and humane approach to working with horses that Kathie Gregory teaches will provide huge benefits for you and your horse.
Following the two horses over the course of a year, as they go from being reactive and unable to be handled, to calm, well-balanced, contented horses, you’ll get to know the personalities of Charlie and Star, as they make the transition from racing to home environment.
This book provides an understanding of behaviour and learning theory, along with free-will, hands-off, and non-coercive techniques, and shows how to apply these principles for stress-free training. You’ll learn how to prevent small issues becoming big problems, and make battling with your horse a thing of the past.
Easy to read, this book can be used as a complete start-from-scratch guide, or to browse through, selecting those parts that you wish to work on to achieve fantastic results: reliable behaviour, stress-free, happy and contented horse and owner.
● Follow the journey of two horses with significant behavioural problems
● Learn the steps used to rehabilitate them
● Charts their progress over the course of a year
● Challenges the preconceptions of how we handle horses
● Shows how effective reward-based, positive methods can be
● Understand the practical applications of behaviour and learning theory
● Uses only scientifically proven methods
● Discusses using the same behavioural principles with other animals
● A useful tool for hobbyists and professionals alike
● Have the happy, stress-free relationship with your horse you’ve always wanted!