Whether a CX500, luxurious CS650 Silver Wing, or CX650 Turbo, this book provides a step-by-step guide to a full restoration. From dismantling, sourcing and restoring parts, to spray painting, decals and polishing. From the rebuild itself, to general maintenance and riding safety, this is the only restoration manual you’ll need.
When Honda released the CX500, the sales brochure stated ‘First into the Future,’ and described the bike as a road sports V-twin. Honda's first venture into the V-twin engine market, with water cooling and shaft drive, was certainly different from their previous twin- and four-cylinder models. Known for its good handling and fuel economy, the low maintenance Honda was comfortable, loved by tourers and couriers alike and, after overcoming early teething troubles, developed a reputation for reliability. Sportier models incorporating turbochargers were also released, for those looking for an additional adrenaline rush. After thirty years, there’s now a resurgence of interest in the CX models, both from restorers and custom builders, with aftermarket café racer kits available, too.
The techniques, tips and tricks used by an experienced restorer will save you time and money. You’ll see that you don’t need expert knowledge or a fully fitted workshop for a restoration project. Packed full with photographs and detailed instructions, this book is your perfect guide, from start to finish.
● Real-life restoration carried out by the author
● Aimed at the beginner and seasoned motorcycle restorer alike
● Advice on project choice and the preparation process
● Step-by-step guidance with hundreds of photographs
● Dismantling, restoring, rebuilding and sourcing parts
● Recommendations on repairs, renovations and replacement parts
● Special tools, their purchase, use and alternatives
● Restoring mechanical parts such as engine, gearbox, brakes; also electrical system
● Tackling bodywork: spray painting, polishing, seat re-covering, decals, forks and tyres
● How to save yourself time and money