Model ship building does not have to be an expensive hobby. The author of this book takes you on a journey through one of the oldest crafts - nowadays a hobby - and shows you how you can build an end product of fascination, history, skill and value using low-cost materials and a minimum of tools - "from scratch" in fact.
Model Ships from Scratch begins by explaining hull lines and hull construction methods and then moves on to: masts, yards, booms and gaffs; deck equipment and furniture; anchors; painting; rigging and blocks; armament; simple sail making; mounting and displaying the finished model.
● Text is packed with useful hints and tips based on the author's lifetime of modelling.
● Large number of detailed drawings and photographs depicting many of the ship models in the author's collection.
● No comparable book on this aspect of maritime modelling.
● Close ups of details and fittings.
● Modelling from scratch is a growth area, because of the cost of manufactured kits.