Jim Cox's earlier book Electric Motors (Workshop Practice Series No. 16) described the basic principles of operation and methods of application of the wide range of motor types likely to be encountered in small scale engineering. Electric Motors in the Home Workshop provides additional information about popular workshop applications for motors. Detailed advice is given on how to identify and make good use of discarded and surplus motors from both domestic and industrial sources and also how to operate three phase motors from single phase supplies.
● Single-Phase Induction Motors
● Three-Phase Induction Motors
● Commutator Motors
● Overhaul and Reconditioning
● Speed Control
● Mobile Power
● Battery Power Supplies
● Associated Components and Test Gear
● Typical Workshop Applications
● Converting Three-Terminal Three-Phase Motors
● Motor Power Rating
● Demagnetisation and Remagnetisation
● Motor Terminology
● Component Suppliers
Examples are given of actual workshop applications and conversions, and on battery supplies for the use of motors in mobile projects.