by Joseph Katz
Outside Australia? Tax free price AUD$57.00 currency converter
Availability: Usually dispatched within 48 hours read more
Or call (02) 8213-9373 to order by telephone
Quote order code RB-GAER
New Directions in Race Car Aerodynamics is the first book to summarize the secrets of the rapidly developing field of high-speed vehicle design. Over the past 15 years, author Joseph Katz has been involved with aerodynamic development in the most competitive areas of motorsport today.
From Formula One, to Indy Car, Drag and Sedan Racing, this book provides clear explanations for both engineers who want to improve their design skills, and enthusiasts who want to understand how their favorite cars go fast.
• How aerodynamics win races
• Why downforce is more important than streamlining and drag reduction
• Designing wings and venturis-what works and what doesn't
• Wind tunnel designs, methods and results-what you can and cannot believe
• Full definitions of terms, with equations and examples provided for determining key aerodynamic parameters like drag, lift and side-force coefficients, fluid viscosity, or wind-tunnel corrections
• Numerous examples using specific race cars, passenger-based prototypes, and open-wheel designs.
Table of Contents:
Overview: Aerodynamics and Race Cars
• The Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Shape
• Aerodynamic Downforce and Performance
• Creating and Measuring Aerodynamic Forces
• How Aerodynamics Shapes Race Cars
• The Impact of Racing Aerodynamics on Production Cars
• The Following Chapters
Aerodynamic Forces and Terms
• Basic Terminology
• The Boundary Layer
• Bernoulli's Equation
• Flow Over Bodies and the Pressure Coefficient
• Drag, Lift, and Side Force
• Relevant Literature
Tools of the Trade
• Road Testing
• Wind Tunnel Methods
• Computational Methods
Airfoils and Wings
• Airfoils: Basic Definitions
• Finite Wings
• Basic Lifting Surface Interactions
• Examples of Various Airfoil Shapes
Aerodynamics and Vehicle Performance
• Tire Performance
• Vehicle Dynamics
• The Effect of Aerodynamics on Performance
Aerodynamics of the Complete Vehicle
• Basic Vehicle Body Concepts
• Aerodynamics of the Complete Vehicle
• Flow Over Wheels
• Sliding Seals and Skirts
• Underbody Channels (Venturis)
• Simple Add-ons: Spoilers, Strakes, and Wickers
• Internal Flow
• Race Car Wings
• Milestones: Historically Important Designs
• More Current Examples
Appendix 1: Drag Coefficients
Appendix 2: Wind Tunnels
285 Photographs and Illustrations.
Shipping: Due to weight, a surcharge applies only to International shipments (2) read more
Within Australia there is a flat delivery charge of A$9.95 per order (any number of items).
The Computer Outpost does not endorse, recommend or sponsor any guest product reviews and comments.
As this is a family friendly page, The Computer Outpost reserves the right to remove reviews and comments that it considers to be offensive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate. The Computer Outpost may also remove reviews and comments that it considers to be misleading or deceptive.
Get new releases, special offers and more sent right to your inbox.