A limited collector’s edition of 1500 copies.
This book chronicles the development and racing career of a car regarded as the ultimate example of the purebred sports car of the 20th century and the epitome of functional beauty and extraordinary performance: the 1952 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL. Taking second place at its 1952 Mille Miglia debut, it went on to win every one of its races that season. Dramatic photos, vivid descriptions, and dramatic recollections from the drivers ensures this book will be a joy to read and enjoy for years to come.
1952 was one of the most important years in Mercedes-Benz racing history; after a 13-year absence, the marque returned to motor sport competition with an automobile that rewrote the history of modern sports car racing.
The 300 SL’s debut was the culmination of a long, difficult road back to racing for Mercedes-Benz. This book vividly depicts the 300 SL’s performance in the five races in which it competed in 1952, and tells the story of how it became the most successful competition sports car of that year. Through dramatic photographs, and equally stirring text, one of the greatest years of sports car racing is brought to life, filled with automobiles often finished in national racing colours, prepared by great factory teams, driven by men who were national sporting idols, and raced under gruelling conditions unique to the age.
From its Mille Miglia debut, through the Nürburgring, the Le Mans 24 Hours, to its greatest race, the Carrera Panamericana, the 300 SL’s career from conception to retirement is presented, culminating with a detailed photographic essay illustrating restoration of the oldest 300 SL in existence.
● A limited edition of just 1500 copies
● Describes how Mercedes-Benz returned to racing in 1952
● Complete details of the 300 SL’s design and development
● Graphically portrays the victories of the 300 SL in 1952
● Reveals Alfred Neubauer’s world-class leadership and strategy skills
● Highlights the climactic Mercedes-Ferrari battle in the 1952 Carrera Panamericana
● Includes the full story of the first Mercedes-Benz victory at Le Mans
● Provides details of Fangio’s first race for Mercedes-Benz
● A treasure trove of evocative historic photographs with informative captions
● Dramatically concludes by graphically celebrating the oldest surviving 300 SL’s restoration