A celebration of the sports moped charting the history of a genre created unwittingly by the government in 1972 and killed off by more legislation five years later. This book recaptures the spirit of happy and carefree times and looks at the bikes that gave freedom and mobility to a generation.
If you're red-blooded and somewhere between 35 and 50 the chances are that your first bike was a sports moped. This book takes you on a nostalgic full throttle trip back to the heady days of the 1970s and early 80s when these fabulous little superbikes were available to 16-year-olds. Packed with photos from past and present, this book will revive wonderful memories of the machines, the people, the fashions, and even the music of the time. Includes coverage of AJW, Batavus, Casal, Cimatti, Derbi, Fantic, Flandria, Garelli, Gilera, Gitane, Honda, Kreidler, KTM, Malaguti, Motobecane, Negrini, NVT, Puch, Suzuki, Testi, Yamaha and Zundapp.
● Charts the extraordinary rise of the sports moped in the 1970s and early 80s
● Fascinating detail on a huge number of machines
● Owners recollections
● Social history too, music and fashions of the era
● Superbikes for 16 year olds!
● A nostalgic road trip through history